So, what's in it?
A detailed book review on the Handbook is not needed here but here is a brief overview of what you will find:
- Basic structure of Scouting and Venturing
- A breakdown of the Venturing ALPS program model
- Leading and planning crew events, adventures and service to others
- Resources for you and your crew
- A place to record your Venturing journey and track progress on Venturing Awards
So, what's NOT in it?
The Handbook is not a Boy Scout Handbook. It does not contain any scout skills other than Leadership. I advise active Venturers to get the BSA Fieldbook. This book contains everything the a Venturer needs to succeed in the outdoors. Firestarting, cold weather camping, knife/ax care and use, canoeing, etc. This is an AWESOME book! I can't stress that enough. If you want to know how to do something in the outdoors at a proficient level, this is where you start.
It's available from the official BSA store here:
Scoutstuff - Handbook for Venturers
Requirements for Venturing, Ranger, Quest and Trust Awards
(simular in look to the Handbook for Venturers but has a red cover)
Venturing Awards and Requirements
BSA Fieldbook - I recommend the spiral bound copy to last
BSA Fieldbook at Scoutstuff.org
BSA Fieldbook - Digital copy for Kindle
Yours in Venturing,
Advisor Tom Dewey